Friday, February 20, 2009

"It's Whitney in the city!" - Marco



Hello again!

I'm sure you're all thinking I'm the biggest slacker on the planet for not updating my blog in the past week. Sorry to keep you all anxiously waiting for the latest development in my journey.

This past week we had orientation at the University of Sydney. One would imagine that going through 3 days of orientation would clear the air and make everything more comforting and not as daunting. However, it did quite the opposite. We all walked away from orientation ten times more confused as we did going in. I don't know if they messed up on explaining things or if all the students didn't do a great job of following the information, but none of us have any idea what's going on as far as figuring out our classes and schedules go. I'm sure we'll figure it all out soon. Besides the fact that I have no idea how to arrange my schedule and where any of my classes are, orientation was pretty fun. We got to know the campus a little better (I can now walk around without getting too lost), got free food, and met a lot of people from around the world. Gabi and I met three people from Holland with whom we have become good friends - Marco, Emilie, and Jente. We met them the first day of orientation during morning tea and have been hanging out with them ever since. I also won a free wine tasting tour in Hunter Valley at orientation. STA travel drew my name out of a box and I won! I was super excited. I haven't decided yet which weekend I am going to go on this trip, but I'll let you know all about it when I do.

There have been a lot of events going on for us newcomers this past week - mainly BBQ parties. Unilodge (the apartment complex that I live in) hosted a BBQ party on the roof on Wednesday. There was free food (though it wasn't that great), a live band, and prizes. Campus organizations have also been throwing BBQ parties for us to get to know more people and the campus a little better. Thursday night was the international party, where all study abroad students went to the bar on campus (yes, there is a club in the middle of campus next to all the classrooms), ate for free, and danced on the dance floor. I met my first Australian friend at this party named Stefan! I also met a lot of other people from other countries. I'm all about the free food, I think they should just keep hosting these things all throughout the semester so I don't have to buy food ever again...maybe I'm just being greedy.

I am 100 percent settled into my humble abode and have been out and about the city of Sydney. The rain has finally subsided and the sun has finally come out which, in turn, allows me to happily wander around. I have yet to go to downtown Sydney (with the bridge and opera house), but I intend on doing that sometime next week. So far, I've been getting acquainted with the areas around campus and central station. Yesterday, Gabi, Allison, and I went to Oxford street and went in all the little shops.

Since it has been so nice out lately, I have been able to go to the beach! Thursday, Gabi and I met up with our friends from Holland and we went to Bondi Beach. It was here that I finally had the realization that I am in Australia. The beach was beautiful, the sand was soft, there were people surfing, and there were large rocks that we climbed so we could have a better view of the ocean. I think a bunch of us are going to go back on Sunday.

Culture shock set in a couple of days ago while I was eating a bag of Skittles. As you all know, the lime skittles are my favorite. I open my bag of skittles, pour some into my hand, stick a green skittle in my mouth, and as I'm chewing it I realize that it is not lime; it is green apple. I was thoroughly disappointed. Don't worry, I ate the bag of skittles anyway (though I don't think the green apple tastes right with all the other skittles). Also, if it's 2 am and you are wanting an inexpensive late night snack, do not go to McDonald's. I know this is the hot spot in Dinkytown (besides Mesa of course), but it is not in Sydney unless you feel like paying $7 for a McChicken. So yeah, I paid $7 for a usually $1 McChicken. I guess some things you just have to learn the hard way.

Now you are up to date on my latest happenings. Right now I'm basically on vacation - sleeping in every day, wandering the streets of Sydney, going to the beach, going out to eat with friends, then going out to the clubs with everyone. It's going to suck when classes start and I'm actually going to have to do something.

I miss you, I love you, I'll update you soon!
Whit

No comments:

Post a Comment